Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Holidays in the city

The holidays in New York City. The reputation here is well deserved--lights everywhere, giant trees, over-the-top shop windows. And of course, about one thousand people per square of sidewalk.

For me this year, it's been about the saxophones. Somehow, when I was hearing a lone busker with his saxophone play "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" (also known as the Christmas Song) right in the middle of a sidewalk, it really brought the season home. It happened again in Central Park.... just a guy on his own, on a quiet day in the park, playing Christmas tunes with his sax case as a coffer. It's a great holiday soundtrack.

There are a lot of ways for you to get that warm, yule-y feeling of the season. You can go to Rockefeller Center, when you look at the hordes of people scrambling to get the perfect picture. And you watch and listen to Saks Fifth Avenue do their Snowflake show to "Ode to Joy". You can go to Rolf's--a German restaurant that is decorated from floor-to-ceiling in festive balls, ribbons and lights (it is unreal). And you walk around one of the Christmas villages set up in Union Square or Columbus Circle. It's truly an experience, if only because so many other people are sharing it.



Because, of course, you're still in NYC--and the voluminous humanity is a double-edged sword. Not only are the usual millions of people here, but there are more visitors than ever. And while the infectious spirit makes this a great place to spend the season, it isn't some winter wonderland of goodwill toward men. To start off my lone shopping day of the season (I don't like shopping very much), I decided to enjoy a Guinness at a bar in my neighborhood. As I sat there, someone wished me happy holidays on their way out the door. I smiled and responded in kind. They offered the same salutations to another woman, who in turn asked them to "drop dead."


Later, I put on Dean Martin on my iPod singing "Silver Bells, Silver Bells, it's Christmas time in the City." He sounded drunk. I understood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home