Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bumper Eloquence and Demetri Martin

Yesterday, while walking down my street, I saw a bumper sticker on a car that said, in stark, black lettering: "My child was Student of the Month at P.S. so-and-so"

Anyway, the sticker got me thinking.

It got me thinking about how long bumper sticker adhesive is supposed to last.

It got me thinking about whether that parent was forgetful, arrogant, or just bouyantly optimistic about said child's reign--like their kid was an academic dynasty. January, February, March... unstoppable.

It got me thinking about how people showed parental pride before the invention of the automobile.

It got me thinking about whether that guy who has the "I'm sane. The little voices in my head told me so." bumper sticker still chuckles at in when he gets in the car every day.

It got me thinking about a connection between Student of the Month Bumper Stickers and which students have been punched in their face during any given month.

It got me thinking about a line from a favorite comedian of mine, Demetri Martin "“A lot of people don’t like bumper stickers. I don’t mind bumper stickers. To me a bumper sticker is a shortcut. It’s like a little sign that says ‘Hey, let’s never hang out.’”

So, I did a lot of thinking. But the only thing that really came out of it was a reminder that Demetri Martin is one of the funniest people in America.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0826314/quotes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home