Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Armando







"Armando is doing very well."




This is the first sentence of report I received from Kiva, an online microfinance site that allows individuals to help fund loans for poor people throughout the world. Out of a pool of applicants, I selected Armando from Mozambique more or less at random (the more, admittedly, because this is a guy from Mozambique named Armando.)


The money I loaned (a small amount) to Armando was pooled with others in order to meet the requested amount, which was for building his family a home. Since the loan, I have occasionally received updates on Armando's progress in repaying it, along with some tidbits about Armando's life. To summarize:



Armando is 31 years old, a father of three, and lives with his parents. As a teen, he worked at Mozambique Port and Railways, earning a monthly salary equivalent to $24. Once he finished the 10th grade, he applied for the professional teacher's school and graduated in two years. For the last nine years, he has been teaching students in third through seventh grades, earning ~$190 a month. He is also studying nights at University of Maputo, majoring in Sports Management, a new sector in Mozambique which he thinks will grow. Armando also owns a business--he bought some pool tables using funds from a previous loan (since paid off), and rents them to bars in his area. He is also planning a room in his future home to raise chickens for sale. He hopes to one day buy a car to make his 30 km commute a little easier.



Armando teaches, then commutes over 18 miles without a car to learn. He manages a business, and has plans to develop another business. He has full family of his own, yet he still lives in his parents'. The whole thing reminds me of a guy named Hong that I met in Hanoi--a steady personal drive, a singular devotion to providing for his family. It also reminds me of my family over the generations--men and women who made sacrifices, small and large, to make things better for "their own." I'm very lucky.

All told--other than some mundane facts devoid of context and personality--I know very little about Armando or his life. But there is one thing I do know.


Armando is doing very well.



And I'm doing just a little better because of that.


-----------------------------------------------

Note: According to Kiva statistics, 99.69% of all loans they fund are repaid. In 16 months, I am going to receive every dollar back that I loaned to Armando. And if I don't, I don't really care. But don't tell Armando.


Check it out -- http://www.kiva.org/

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger SwimBikeRun said...

awesome dude. well done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home