Monday, April 17, 2006

Tony and Joe

My mother has been praying for me. In general, yes, but specifically for me to find a permanent place to live. She had originally been praying to St. Anthony, the patron saint of finding things. Anthony has been good to her and to my family over the years. With few exceptions, if you get a hold of Tony, you can pretty much be sure that your keys or the remote or your parked car will turn up.

Tony can be fickle, though, and my mother is not one to stand for that. So, she switched saints. She explained her change to me:

"Anthony is out. I'm praying to St. Joseph now."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yes. Anthony must be too busy. So it's Joseph now."

"And he can help?"

"Yes. He's big in real estate."


Last Sunday, I found a permanent place to live in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York City. Apparently, Joe gets things done, and he has an ironic sense of humor. I'd recommend him to anyone.

4 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good on ya for finding a place to rest your head. i read some stuff over the summer about how hell's kitchen was one of the last bastions of 'affordability' in nyc

 
At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I LOVE your mother! That is so hilarious. Maybe I need to switch saints to whom I pray...Joe may be just who I need. SWEET! Thanks Mrs. McC!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Joseph is the patron saint of people looking for a house b/c of how he and Mary were looking for room at the Inns. Also, Joe is the patron saint of cuckolds. It's true!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger SwimBikeRun said...

You know waht's f'd up? All of that makes sense to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home