Thursday, March 02, 2006

Warm, with Uncomplicated Hair

I can’t wait for Spring. It will not just be the beginning of warmth and outdoor fun, it will be the end of winter hats and me looking like a moron.

Because of this season’s chill, I wear a winter hat every morning on the walk to the subway. The hat does its job; it keeps my head warm. But the unfortunate collateral damage of a cozy scalp is ridiculous-looking hair. When I take off my hat, the resulting static-y cowlicks and matted swaths of hair make me look like Slow Country in the Big City. I look like a half-wit Appalachian that got too chummy with the turpentine. I look like Sling Blade after a three-day bender; like someone should’ve given me water wings for the gene pool.

And I may ask someone for the time, or if they know where they keep the pushpins around this office, and they’ll cock their head to the side in a sympathetic way and answer me. Me and my rube coiffure.

3 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever get a watch? Me

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go back to going's sake full circle 10/31/05. Next to last paragraph, "haven't become bored WITH, not "of". Think I'm right-what say you? xoxo Me

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger jacquie said...

boys looks cute in beanies. it's a known fact.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home